Oxbow Regional Park
Over on the wrong side of Gresham lies a vast and varied natural park, with miles of trails passing along the steep forested hillside adjacent to a three quarter turn on the Sandy River.
6:30 a.m. to legal sunset.
- Miles and miles of trails. Marked. And the ranger will give you a map.
- The ancient forest area is particularly pretty, though the paths get very muddy in wet weather (e.g. all Spring!)
- The river is also pretty (though wide and fast flowing).
- Potentially plenty of wildlife to observe (we saw eagles and deer).
- There’s a smallish children’s playground towards the center.
- Parking; picnic tables; camping facilities.
- Quiet, off the beaten track.
- Takes longer to drive there than you might imagine. It’s a pretty drive though.
- $5/car entrance fee.
3010 SE Oxbow Pkwy, Gresham, OR 97030 [Google map]
This thing to do was suggested by
Will Moore – thank you!
Comprehensive listings of family friendly Portland based events
Jody manages an awesome collection of things to do!
A blog devoted to getting outside and exploring.
Other opinions are available...
Not too far outside of the city, however, you FEEL like you are miles and miles out in the middle of BFE.
Hiking, water activities, clean...” read more
“Camped there for 2 nights. Love the location, not too far from the city but you pretty much felt like you were in the middle of the forest. The campground...” read more
“Are you if-y if the camping thing is for you but want to give it a try? Want to get out in the great outdoors but don't have much time? Love tubing? Cruise...” read more
A local photographer / father shares his growing catalog of fun things to do with children in and around Portland. More...