Oktoberfest in Mount Angel
A fun and festive day out for the whole family, which it's perfectly possible to enjoy without consuming a drop of alcohol. How often can you say that? Don't mention the war.
hours of fun
Don't let the name fool you. Oktoberfest takes place in September. In 2013 it runs September 12, 13, 14 and 15.
- Childrens rides and amusements provided free of charge. Yes, I said free of charge.
- Friendly, festive atmosphere. All the fun aspects of German society including costumes, dancing, vittels and merry bonhomie with none of the sinister overtones.
- Actual lederhosen on display in public. No need to pay top dollar in Old Town.
- Plenty of fair food with a Bavarian twist.
- Gets extremely crowded. It was drizzling in 2010 – presumably keeping a lot of people away – but was still packed, though manageable. Some queuing is inevitable.
- You may want a designated driver. That said, plenty of fun to be had without booze. No, seriously.
- Describing corn dogs as Himmel auf Erden (Heaven on Earth) is possibly a violation of the Trade Descriptions Act.
- A good 45 minutes drive out of town.
- Don’t mention the war.
Mount Angel, Oregon [Google map]