Climb up the access road to the former parking lots; from there you’ll discover numerous unmarked, overgrown paths through thicket. Actually don’t do that, go home and watch “Deliverance” instead.
- Less expensive and more visceral, immersive than renting a horror movie.
- Unkempt would be a generous description. Abandoned would be more accurate.
- Ever present sense of being watched. Woodland, yes, but more Blair Witch than Bambi.
- Makes Elk Rock Island seem like the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
- The parking spots at the top of 103rd by the entrance gate are susceptible to subsidence. I went in a touch too far, slid forward and required a tow to get out… which was of course far better than plunging into the abyss. Stop short!
SE 103rd Ave & Clinton St, Portland [Google map]